the Jokhang is most sacred and active temple in Tibet. It is less impressive than the Potala but does neet to for pilgrims to express their devotion. It has a history of over 1400 years, the construction started in 647. It was founded by Bhrikuti, King Songten Gampo’s Nepalese bride on a site chosen by his other wife Wengheng a Tang dynasty Princess as the principal geomantic power place in Tibet. By consulting astrological charts, she was told to construct the temple on this site reclaiming the land of the Othang Lake. She brought a statue with her to Tibet from China, the King was very impressed that he wanted a special chapel built for the statue, The statue was called the “Jowo”, a treasured statue of the Buddha Siddartha Gautama known in Tibet as Sakyamui. Jokhhang means “The shrine of Jowo”. Jowo means precious one in Tibetan. The outside was filled with pilgrims prostrating themselves as the Jokhang is their ultimate destination.
Barkhor means Eight Corners Street. It is in some what remains of the city’s original appearance.