Free travel home page with storage for your pictures and travel reports! login GLOBOsapiens - Travel Community GLOBOsapiens - Travel Community GLOBOsapiens - Travel Community
 You are here: Member pages » joe_schmidt » pictures » Caribbean Feelings on San Andrés
Login
 Forgot password?
sign up


Top 3 members
wojtekd 215
Member snaps
joe_schmidt

Caribbean Feelings on San Andrés's by joe_schmidt

about me      | my friends      | pictures      | albums      | reports      | travel log      | travel tips      | guestbook      | activities      | contact      |

previous Show next picture from joe_schmidt show bigger picture send as postcard

information about colombia  San AndresColombia, San Andrés y Providencia
San Andrés is a pearl of the Caribbean. In the common travel agencies you will not find it on their schedule. Although the Island is part of Colombia many inhabitants (~20%, thanks Jorge) kept English as their first language. Nicaragua also claims the island but a survey resulted in a high vote (>90%) to keep with Colombia, just in case.
Uploaded: Jan, 05 2008 | Taken: Jul, 29 2007| Viewed: 162 times  | 6 votes
Camera: NIKON CORPORATION | Model: NIKON D80 | Exposure 10/3200s, ISO 100 | FLength: 22mm | SW: Ver.1.01

jorgesanchez - Jan, 05 2008 09:01pm
Joaquim, good picture. But the English did not discover these islands (San Andres, Providencia and Santa Catalina). Columbus, during his fourth voyage, sighted the islands. In 1510 Spaniards took official possession of the three islands in the name of the Catholic Kings. But the Spaniards did not occupy these islands, because they were busy with the American continent.
They were the English, illegally, and introduced Black slaves over one century later, and then, the sinister pirate Henry Morgan used the island of San Andres to hide his predatory robberies.
When we expelled the English, they abandoned their slaves in the islands, who still preserve the English language.
Although English and Spanish are both official, only about 20%, the descendants of the Black slaves speak English first and second Spanish. All the rest of the population, 80 %, speak only Spanish since they are Colombian from the continent
I am glad that you enjoyed the island. I spent 1 week in San Andres in 2002.

joe_schmidt - Jan, 06 2008 06:01pm
Jorge, thank you for the correction. (Chapeau for your knowledge, I really appreciate this!!) I wrote what they told me on a tourist tour around the island. I also visited the cave were Captain Morgan was supposed to hide his prey. The visit to the island was indeed very pleasant. Next time I also would like to visit Providencia but there are so many places left to go in Colombia.

jorgesanchez - Jan, 06 2008 09:01pm
Joachim, thanks for your words. I wrote a report about San Andres, here in Globo and the historical details were fresh, (although, anyway, I checked again the encyclopaedia!). I also made the journey around the island in an open bus stopping in the cave of the pirate Morgan, watching the Blow Holes, drinking the local liquor…. Now we are two Globo members who discovered that fantastic island.

novox - May, 27 2008 07:05am
it is nice, i am looking for some pictures from san andres


joe_schmidt 's travel pictures
Page: 1 2
Austria
    Kaprun (1)
Bolivia
    La Paz (3)
Colombia
    Bogota (6)
    Cali (4)
    Cartagena (2)
    La Cocha (3)
    Las Lajas (4)
    Medellin (17)
    Nuqui (12)
    Parque Nacional del Café (1)
    Popayan (2)
    Pueblo Tapao (4)
    Quibdo (1)
    Quimbaya (2)
    San Andres (7)
Croatia
    Hvar (1)
    Milna (4)
    Vis (1)
Ecuador
    Banos (2)
    Otavalo (1)
Publish your own story!


  Terms and Conditions    Privacy Policy    Press    Contact    Impressum
  © 2002 - 2017 Findix Technologies GmbH Germany    Travel Portal Version: 4.2.6